Tuesday, June 30, 2009


I've been absent from this blog for quite a while, and decided that I ought to take a few minutes and share a bit about what's been going on in my life recently.

In short, the past several weeks have been the worst I've ever experienced. I'm at the end of my rope, I don't even know what to do or expect next. I've been trying to go with the flow and make the best of things, but I'm starting to worry about myself and the emotional health of myself and my family, because I don't know how much more that I can take.

Photo credit: somadjinn from morguefile.com

I guess this all really started when I stopped the management job I had at work. It sucked, I really wasn't happy doing it. I had a job offer on the table and I was excited to leave the position I was in to take the new job. Then the new job disappeared- they decided not to change their staffing. I haven't been able to regain my former hours either, so I've gone from working 40 hrs/week to about 20-25 hrs/week. I'm currently looking for a second job to supplement my income, because this sucks.

My sister spent a week in the hospital at the end of April, she'd had an ectopic pregnancy and ended up with over 4 pints of blood in her abdomen. The doctors told her husband that he'd never come that close to losing her again- they were extremely lucky that she survived. I didn't find out until after the fact just how serious this was.

A good friend of Hubby's (and one of the Prince's godfathers) had a heart attack 4 weeks ago. He had 3 stints put into his heart- those arteries were 75%, 85%, and 99% blocked. This happened 5 weeks after his 30th birthday... not what you expect when you're 30!

I took my van to the shop to fix a strange noise. They called me a few hours later and told me that they wouldn't charge me, but suggested that I "get rid of it as soon as possible". We'd planned on keeping it for one or two more years. I spent the next 10 days researching, searching for, and buying a new van. The whole process wasn't tons of fun.

When we picked up the van, it only had one key. A new one is easily over $200 (transponder chip and remote are all on the key). I found some on eBay and took them to get programmed. Turns out that they don't work and I got screwed.

New van had the "service engine soon" light on, so I took it to my mechanic. He said that he thought there was a short in the O2 sensor, because the car's memory said it was an O2 error. He said that if the light came on again, we'd have to replace the sensor. Guess what? It came back on this morning.

The diamond fell out of my engagement ring. I'd worn it to work and noticed it missing the next morning. I'm sure it fell out at work and went down the drain or into the trash. We don't have the money to replace it right now, and our homeowner's insurance deductible is higher than the value of the diamond. For the time being, I'm wearing a fake, because I felt pretty naked not wearing my ring.

Our garbage disposal started leaking (gushing) water. I researched those too (I research most purchases over $100) and installed the new one myself!

Then last night our dryer died. The heating coil sparked, broke, and went kaput. The sparks caused a fire in our laundry room (towels and a rug that were under/behind the dryer). Our whole house filled with smoke and stink, we sent the kids to the neighbor's house while we got the mess cleaned up. And we had the fire department come to make sure that there weren't any hotspots in the dryer vent or anywhere else.

(Thank God this wasn't mine!)

I feel like more has happened that I'm not remembering right now, but that's a pretty good overview of recent events. I'm thankful that Hubby and I are both still employed, but goodness- it's just one thing after another and I feel like I have no control anymore.

Please forgive me for not being around much in blogland lately, I don't feel like I have anything to blog about. I'd like to continue to do the SewConnected group, but just take some time off (a couple more months?), because I'm not sewing right now... just trying to figure out how to get through my life. I'm so sorry for not being good about getting everyone's blocks done and sent off.

edited to add: After I typed this post, I went to get cookie dough out of the chest freezer- cookies sounded like good therapy. They were cold, but not rock hard frozen as they should have been. The chest freezer apparently has also died. Fuck me.


  1. Oh my God! One more thing, I am so sorry. For some reason I was worried about you guys and now I know why. Hang in there my dear. Things will get better. j

  2. Oh, my goodness! You need a hug. And lots of chocolate. And possibly a good stiff drink!

    Hang in there--it sounds like you're scraping along the bottom, so things should be looking up soon.

  3. I hope you can hang on until things take a turn for the better - they always do.

  4. Oh Blondie! What a crapola run of luck you have had, sorry to read. :) Red wine for you. x

  5. Holy moses. Are things better now?

  6. This may be hard for you to believe right now because of all that has happened in your life, but God loves you. He sent his Son to die on the cross for you.


Blondie spoke... now you speak.

It's nice taking turns.

Have a great day!