Thursday, December 27, 2007

Christmas Recap, New Project

I thought I'd post a couple of cute pictures from Christmas, which is not over yet for us. We had extended family arrive in town last night and will be celebrating Christmas and a couple of birthdays with them over the next few days. Today, however, I am taking some time to myself and am working on a new project. More on that later.

Here are some cute shots from Tuesday:


Playing with a new Little People set


Opening a gas pump for the car he got 2 years ago (hopefully he'll share this with his sister, for the car she got this year!)


This I love- taken after everyone had arrived and brought over all of their gifts as well. Princess just wouldn't let go of her plate and brought it with her for the picture!

__________________________________________

Some info about me. I married my high school sweetheart in July of 2000. When we started dating, there was a down comforter on his bed that he'd had for at least a year or two, he used it all through college and I LOVED it- the warmest, softest blanket I'd ever used. When we got married, we bought a king-sized down comforter. We learned that we don't share blankets well, and because I'm not a big fan of the new comforter, I took his old one and he uses the new one. My (twin-sized) comforter is now about 15 years old (?) and I still love it, but I've noticed that the down is all getting smooshed to one end, and I've been cold at night lately. I suggested that I might need a new one, but Hubby suggested that instead I use the comforter as the batting for a new quilt- the first I will have made for ME.

I went out on Sunday, armed with a purse-full of "Coupon Commotion" coupons, and visited my local large fabric store. I decided on a warm, furry, fuzzy backing and then began choosing fabrics for the top. I wanted fun fabrics that I liked, and I didn't care if it matches the room decor or not... neither one of us has a cover on our comforter that matches the room anyway. (A bedspread is an upcoming project, but as it will be 3 yards square, it isn't a priority!)

I didn't take a picture of the awesome warm fuzzy fabric (it's like those fuzzy blankets that are so popular right now), but here are some of the fabrics that I've chosen:


This is a little washed out, but this fabric matches the fuzzy backing (which is a similar bluish color)


This got a bit washed out in the photo, but I love the daisies and zinnias in the print!


Also kinda washed out


This one is washed out, too


I used this for the binding!




I measured and thought I'd purchased enough fabric for the top, but now that I have everything cut out it seems that I'm short. I'm considering going back and getting more of the blue sqiggles fabric, or just digging into my stash. I know that I have some fabric that I could use, but I'm not sure if I'd have enough with that or not. I might use the rest of the fabric that I used for binding, but I had decided in the store that I didn't like how it looked with the other fabrics enough to use it for squares. The prince would say that I have a predicament... not sure what I'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blondie spoke... now you speak.

It's nice taking turns.

Have a great day!