One of the reasons I decided to surrender on the Two-Color project was that I was sick of looking at blue and white fabric. I wanted a change, wanted to have some fun with some fabric that was NOT blue or white.
I pulled out some scraps. Some of the bigger scraps I crazy cut into smaller scraps. Here is my pile of scraps:
I wanted something fun and easy and simple and free. Just to play around and enjoy myself, you know? Aha- lightbulb moment- I remembered the bag method. No idea where I read about this, but I know I read about it on a blog somewhere along the line. My pile 'o scraps went into a bag next to my sewing machine. I sat down and pulled out two pieces of fabric, sewed them together. Pulled out two more, sewed them together, repeated this until I had a long strip of sets of two fabric pieces (and the bag was empty). I snipped the threads and ironed the seams, then put them back into the bag and repeated the process, again and again until the pieces were sewn into one big piece. I cut this piece into squares and decided that it needed a bold sashing. I was having fun and just playing around, but was also really liking the results. I had a larger piece that I thought would make a great backing, and I machine quilted the whole thing together:
And after just a short while of playing around, I have a doll quilt almost finished! It just needs binding, but I'll do that next week while I'm on vacation. I'm actually planning on finishing it, photographing it, and dropping it in the mail while I'm gone- that way it won't get forgotten about once I get back.
Hubby is sick of the F word (fabric!) and the Q word (quilt!), so I want to stress that I hadn't planned on doing this, I really truly sat down to play around with some bright colors. I had a blast making it, I'm happy with the machine quilting (which is something I want to work on... if it isn't stitch-in-the-ditch, I need practice!), and I ended up being able to cross something off of my August to-do list!